Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Challenging ride with Cycle Folsom Groups






Sunday Feb 28 was the make up day after the heavy rains on Saturday the 27th and the Cycle Folsom Peloton, Performance and some Endurance riders met in Folsom to ride to Discovery Park.

Lisa and I rode down from Roseville for a bit of a warm-up (9 miles) to prepare for the hammer that was sure to be dropped by the performance group... which it did... just after Hazel. I was not paying attention and ended up with the performance guys for a couple of miles at 24mph or 25... till I had to say I will not make the 75miles of our day at that pace and I dropped back to find the peloton group.

I suffered a flat at about mile 35 and stopped to change it while the group went on... Unfortunately I had failed to put tire levers back in my seat bag after the double century - doh!... I pumped the flat up enough to get to Performance Bike but they were closed... Luckily the manager let me in and gave me some levers - Thanks!!! and I was back in business. I caught up with the group returning from Discovery park at about Northgate and turned around and latched on.

Eventually at about mile 60 the pace got the better of me and Lisa and I slowed it down to about 18 for the rest of the ride back to Roseville. Average pace for the 75 mi 17.7 mph, 1100 ft climbing

All in all a good training ride - although with the weather improving, and more and more folks on the trail I feel that our days on the trail are numbered in large groups and high speeds...it's just not safe... Time to head for the open back roads... maybe Old sac to Winters? or ride down to Walnut Creek and through the Vineyards? or into the foothills.

Unfortunately Lisa and I will miss this Saturday's ride as I am in the recording studios in Emeryville and Lisa will be climbing Mount Diablo!

Maybe a Sunday long ride along the Sacramento River is in order?

Stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment