Monday, April 26, 2010

A few fun rides this weekend

With Lisa out of town, and the Cycle Folsom Weekend ride cancelled for this week, I was on my own.

So I decided it was time to find Beatty Hill. I parked at the Aquatic Center on Lake Natoma, headed up the trail to Iron Point Rd, up and over mount Costco and down Empire Ranch to Beatty Hill.

The Hill is in two section ( the 1st about 0.78 mi long with grades of 13-15% with a couple of 16% sections thrown in). The 1st section climbs up about 370 ft - enough to get the heart rate up to max. Then after a short dip it climbs again at an 11-13% grade for another 0.5 mi. There are some nice views of Folsom lake to be had, and a nice fast descent.

I tried a bunch of other climbs in the area and eventually crossed over the Folsom Dam and back down the trail to the Aquatic Center.


Later in the afternoon, Jason and I hit the single track around Lake Natoma on the mountain bikes for a good 12mi loop.

On Sunday, I joined the Cycle Folsom Leaders for the 2nd Beginner ride - unfortunately we did not have too many attendees but it was a fun and relaxing recovery ride. I tacked on an extra 12 miles for fun.

I brought our Felt bikes to Folsom bike for a little tune-up and it also turned out that Jim Felt, owner of Felt Bikes, was hosting a Demo Day at Folsom Bikes - so I chatted with him for a bit and then took advantage of the opportunity to ride a couple of $7000 carbon bikes - the F-1 and the AR-2. They are very light, stiff and really put me in an agressive race position ( especially the F1). They are also a bit noisy compared to my F-55 since the thin carbon tubes act like resonators. The F1 was very responsive and almost twitchy when standing , while the AR2 was more comfortable and stable. Fun stuff - and now I just need to win the lottery :)

Have a great week
( and a shout out to Lisa on the other coast!)

No comments:

Post a Comment